SCATTERING FUNERAL ASHES AT SEA
We can provide a boat for you from Dunmore East and covering areas Tramore Bay, Waterford Harbour, Hook Head, Rivers Suir and Barrow, you do not need a licence or permission to scatter funeral ashes in Irish costal waters.
You do not need a specifically designed water urn, although we would recommend it.
Some guidance and advice:
- Do not leave urns not designed for the purpose of water burials in the water, they may not break down, they can impact wildlife and the plastic ones tend to float and are very robust.
- Scattering on the surface of the water, even on a calm day can lead to problems, the ash contains very fine particles that blow about on the slightest breeze and tend to stick to the side of the boat.
- Water urns are designed to float for a short while then sink and break down, some almost straight away some over about 24 hrs.
- Rose and other flower petals can make a nice touch for the ceremony.
- If you are casting a wreath or similar please ensure there is no plastic used.